Scholarship and discovery are essential components of academic medical leadership. In addition, clinical and administrative leaders must be comfortable with critical interpretation of new research findings. It is our goal for all residents to appreciate the scientific rigor, societal benefits, and professional rewards of thoughtful investigative scholarship. In addition, we believe that biomedical investigation may play an important role in career selection and development for some residents.
To complement our clinical experiences, each resident is required to complete a research project during his/her training. The results of these projects are presented at the annual Department of Internal Medicine Research Symposium. Research may be based in either the clinical or basic sciences, and the subject of study is determined by the individual resident's interest.
View presentations from the 2023 Resident Research Symposium.
Many of the research projects completed by our residents have been awarded research grants; presented at state, regional, or national meetings; and published in peer-reviewed medical journals. Based on the quality and innovative nature of our residents’ research, our residents consistently receive awards from our Department of Internal Medicine in recognition of outstanding research. In addition, following graduation, we have had a number of residents pursue further research training in the Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation (IHPI) Clinician Scholars Program, as General Medicine research fellows, or through subspecialty fellowship training. Over the years, our graduates consistently comment on the value of this educational experience, even if they elect not to pursue a research-based career.
Recent Resident Publications
- Larson J, Rich L, Deshmukh A, Judge EC, Liang JJ. Pharmacologic Management for Ventricular Arrhythmias: Overview of Anti-Arrhythmic Drugs. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2022; 11(11):3233. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm11113233
- Rich L, Patel N, Hyder SN, et al. Safe and Effective Balloon Pulmonary Angioplasty in the Outpatient Setting: The Michigan Medicine Experience. Journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography & Interventions. Published online February 2023:100589. doi:10.1016/j.jscai.2023.100589
- Gondi KT, Nazir S, Grande R, Hummel SL. Development of Late Amyloid Cardiomyopathy Following Liver Transplantation for Hereditary Transthyretin Amyloidosis Val30Met. Amyloid. 2021 Sep;28(3): 215-216.
- Hanna MP, Adie SK, Ketcham SW, Deshmukh A, Gondi K, Abdul-Aziz A, Prescott HC, Thomas MP, Konerman MC. Atypical Antipsychotic Safety in the CICU. Am J Cardiol. 2022 Jan;163: 117-123.
- Gondi KT and Hummel SL. Hyperglycaemia at Hospital Discharge is Associated with Worse Cardiovascular Outcomes After Hospitalization for Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2022 Nov; 11(10): 782-783
- Gondi KT, Larson J, Sifuentes A, Alexander NB, Konerman MC, Thomas K, Hummel SL. Health of the Food Environment is Independently Associated with Heart Failure Mortality in the United States. Circ Heart Fail. 2022 Dec; 15(12): e009651
- Larson J, Gondi K, Chou A, Deshmukh A, Cascino T, Ghannam M, Judge EC, Latchamsetty R, Jongnarangsin K, Aaronson KD, Pagani FD, Bogun F, Liang JJ. Association Between Amiodarone and Ventricular Tachycardia after Left Ventricular Assist Device Implant: A Single Center Experience. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2022 Dec. Online ahead of print.
- Gondi K, Tam M, Chetcuti SJ, Pagani FD, Grossman PM, Deeb GM, Menees DS, Haft J, Patel HJ, Aaronson KD, Sukul D. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement for the Treatment of Left Ventricular Assist Device-Related Aortic Regurgitation: The Michigan Medicine Experience. 2023 Jan; 2(1): 100530
- Gondi KT, Yosef M, Hammer Y, Golbus JR, Madamanchi C, Murthy VL, Aaronson KD, Konerman MC. Longitudinal Change in Myocardial Flow Reserve Assessed by Positron Emission Tomography for the Evaluation of Cardiac Allograft Vasculopathy Following Heart Transplantation. Accepted at J Card Fail.
- Anderson, T. M., Secrest, K., Krein, S. L., Schildhouse, R., Guetterman, T. C., Harrod, M., Trumpower, B., Kronick, S. L., Pribble, J., Chan, P. S., & Nallamothu, B. K. (2021). Best Practices for Education and Training of Resuscitation Teams for In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes, 14(12), e008587. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.121.008587
- Secrest, K. M., Anderson, T. M., Trumpower, B., Harrod, M., Krein, S. L., Guetterman, T. C., Chan, P. S., & Nallamothu, B. K. (2022). Early changes in hospital resuscitation practices during the COVID-19 pandemic. Resuscitation plus, 12, 100317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resplu.2022.100317
- Ardeshna NS, Song M, Hyder SN, Grace KA, O'Hare C, Schaeffer WJ, Stover M, Greineder CF, Barnes GD. Effect of pulmonary embolism response team on advanced therapies administered: The University of Michigan experience. Thromb Res. 2023 Jan;221:73-78. doi: 10.1016/j.thromres.2022.11.017. Epub 2022 Nov 25. PMID: 36493540.
- Goldar G, Garraud C, Sifuentes AA, Wassif H, Jain V, Klein AL. Autoimmune Pericarditis: Multimodality Imaging. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2022 Nov;24(11):1633-1645. doi: 10.1007/s11886-022-01785-3. Epub 2022 Oct 11. PMID: 36219367.
- Sifuentes AA, Goldar G, Abdul-Aziz AA, Lee R, Shore S. Mechanical Circulatory Support and Critical Care Management of High-Risk Acute Pulmonary Embolism. Interv Cardiol Clin. 2023 Jul;12(3):323-338. doi: 10.1016/j.iccl.2023.03.004. Epub 2023 Apr 27. PMID: 37290837.
- Michael P. Dorsch, Aaron Sifuentes, David J. Cordwin, Rachel Kuo, Brigid E. Rowell, Juan J. Arzac, Ken DeBacker, Jessica L. Guidi, Scott L. Hummel, Todd M. Koelling, A Computable Algorithm for Medication Optimization in Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction, JACC: Advances, Volume 2, Issue 3, 2023,100289,ISSN 2772-963X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacadv.2023.100289 (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2772963X23000443)
- Saleh ZM, Tapper EB. Pharmacist-Led Educational Interventions Involving the “Hidden” Patient in Cirrhosis: Caregivers. Hepatol Commun. Saleh ZM, Salim NE, Nikirk S, Serper M, Tapper EB. The Emotional Burden of Caregiving for Patients with Cirrhosis. Hepatol Commun. Saleh ZM, Chey WD, Berry SK. Behavioral Health Digital Therapeutics for Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Primer for Gastroenterologists. Am J Gastroenterol. 2023 Mar 20. Ha A, Saleh ZM, Serper M, Tapper EB. An underappreciated driver of morbidity and mortality in cirrhosis: Falls. Clinical Liver Disease.
- Miller MJ, Harding-Theobald E, DiBattista JV, et. al. (2023). “Progression to cirrhosis is similar among all ages in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, but liver-related events increase with age.” Hepatology Communications. 2023 Jun 2;7(6):e0148. doi: 10.1097/HC9.0000000000000148.
- Chen VL, Oliveri A, Miller MJ, Wijarnpreecha K, et. al. (2023). “PNPLA3 genotype and diabetes identify patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease at high risk of incident cirrhosis.” Gastroenterology. 2023 May;164(6):966-977.e17. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2023.01.040.
- Chen VL, Burkholder DA, Moran IJ, DiBattista JV, Miller MJ, et. al. (2022). “Hepatic decompensation is accelerated in patients with cirrhosis and alpha-1 antitrypsin Pi*MZ genotype.” JHEP Reports. 2022 Apr 5;4(6):100483. doi: 10.1016/j.jhepr.2022.100483
- Duong, N., Lee, T.H., Newman, K.L., Goldowsky, A., Jencks, K.J., Chedid, V., Barrow, J., Burbridge, R., Chiang, A., Targownik, L., Simonetto, D.A., & Paul, S.. (2023, Apr). Overcoming disparities for sexual and gender minority patients and providers in gastroenterology and hepatology: introduction to Rainbows in Gastro. The Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 8(4):299-301. doi: 10.1016/S2468-1253(23)00005-5. PMID: 36796399.
- Newman, K.L., Jencks, K.J., Chedid, V., Paul, S., Higgins, P.D.R., Kane, S.V., & Long, M. (2022, Oct) Response to Mansoor et al: 'Epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease in men with high-risk homosexual activity'. Gut. 2022 328802. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2022-328802. PMID: 36229171; PMCID: PMC10104590.
- Bopp, N.E., Jencks, K.J., Siles, C., Guevara, C., Vilcarromero, S., Fernandez, D., Halsey, E.S., Ampuero, J.S., & Aguilar, P.V. (2021, Nov). Serological Responses in Patients Infected with Mayaro Virus and Evaluation of Cross-Protective Responses against Chikungunya Virus. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 106(2), 607-609. PMID: 34844213. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.21-0579
General / Hospital Medicine
- Wong A, Otles E, Donnelly JP, Krumm A, McCullough J, DeTroyer-Cooley O, Pestrue J, Phillips M, Konye J, Penoza C, Ghous M, Singh K. External Validation of a Widely Implemented Proprietary Sepsis Prediction Model in Hospitalized Patients. JAMA Intern Med. 2021 Aug 1;181(8):1065-1070. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2021.2626. Erratum in: JAMA Intern Med. 2021 Aug 1;181(8):1144. PMID: 34152373; PMCID: PMC8218233
- Wong A, Cao J, Lyons PG, et al. Quantification of Sepsis Model Alerts in 24 US Hospitals Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic. JAMA Netw Open. 2021;4(11):e2135286. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.35286
- Bishara A, Wong A, Wang L, Chopra M, Fan W, Lin A, Fong N, Palacharla A, Spinner J, Armstrong R, Pletcher MJ, Lituiev D, Hadley D, Butte A. Opal: an implementation science tool for machine learning clinical decision support in anesthesia. J Clin Monit Comput. 2022 Oct;36(5):1367-1377. doi: 10.1007/s10877-021-00774-1. Epub 2021 Nov 27. PMID: 34837585; PMCID: PMC9275816.
- Kadouh NK, Lang S, Shamoun M, Scott EL, Singh SA, Smith MA. Mexiletine: An adjuvant option for refractory pain in patients with sickle cell disease and comorbid autism spectrum disorder. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2022 Aug;69(8):e29526. doi: 10.1002/pbc.29526. Epub 2021 Dec 28. PMID: 34962695.
- Lohani S, Annadanam S, Martire C, Zakari S, Hwang S, Jaar BG, Sozio SM, Shafi T. “Point-of-Care Ultrasound for Evaluation of Systolic Heart Function in Outpatient Hemodialysis Units.” Kidney Medicine. (2021). 3(2):317.
- Annadanam S, Garg G, Fagerlin A, Powell C, Chen E, Segal J, Ojo A, Wright Nunes J. “Patient Centered Outcomes: Comparing a Multi-Disciplinary CKD Care Team Approach to General Nephrology Care.” Kidney Med. 2023 Jan 20;5(4):100602. doi: 10.1016/j.xkme.2023.100602. PMID: 36960384; PMCID: PMC10027557.
- Zhang W, Lazar-Stefanita L, Yamashita H, [et al, including Annadanam S]. “Manipulating the 3D Organization of the Largest Synthetic Yeast Chromosome.” Preprint.
- Madapoosi S, Karlic KJ, Townshend R, Moreira A, Riske J, Conjeevaram H. Improving documentation and adherence to United States Preventative Services Taskforce cancer screening recommendations at a safety net clinic. Am J Med Qual. 2022 Sep-Oct;37(5):477-478.
- Watson MA, Anderson C, Karlic KJ, Hogan CK, Seelye S, Taylor SP, Prescott HC. Receipt of recovery-oriented care practices during hospitalization for sepsis. Crit Care Explor. 2022 Sep;4(9):e0766.
- Karlic KJ, Valley TS, Cagino LM, Prescott HC, Iwashyna TJ, Mohammad RA, Pitcher M, Haezebrouck E, McSparron JI. Identification of patient safety threats in a post-intensive care clinic. Am J Med Qual. 2023 May-June;38(3):117-121.
- Karlic KJ, Clouse TL, Hogan CK, Garland A, Seelye S, Sussman JB, Prescott HC. Comparison of administrative vs electronic health record-based methods in identifying sepsis hospitalizations relative to physician-adjudicated medical record review. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2023 May 10. Online ahead of print