The Division of Hospital Medicine at the University of Michigan is among the few Divisions in the nation to offer a dedicated two-year research fellowship in the field of Hospital Medicine. Built within the curriculum of the National Clinician Scholars Program (formerly, the Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program) at the U-M Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation, the fellowship includes training in:
- Quantitative methods including survey techniques, bivariate and multivariate modeling, regression techniques, survival analysis, simulation analysis, and multi-level modeling for complex outcomes using advanced statistical software.
- Qualitative methods including ethnography, focus group and interview techniques and practices, thematic analysis, and related techniques using software such as NVivo.
- Leadership training including self-assessments, skill-based analysis, presentation techniques and tips, and motivational interviewing.
- Dedicated mentorship and support from leaders in General and Hospital Medicine throughout training.
- Support from a host of experienced investigators in a number of scientific disciplines including medical and nursing subspecialties.
The fellowship is based on an adult-learning theory model and is goal-directed at each stage. Fellows are required to complete three practica to qualify for graduation including a systematic review of the literature, data-oriented analysis, and grant application. Completing these practica ensures not only scholarly products at the end of the training period, but also readiness to enter the job market as an Investigator in Hospital Medicine. Graduates earn a Master's in Science degree from the Rackham Graduate School.
Matriculants of the U-M Hospital Medicine Fellowship Program have been and remain some of the most sought-after faculty in the country. They have conducted practice changing research and have presented and shared their research at the highest levels of scientific inquiry.
Up to two fellowship positions are available each year for qualified and highly motivated candidates.
Interested individuals should send their CV and cover letter to [email protected].