Abstracts are due APRIL 17, 2023
POLICIES & GUIDELINES (Read this first)
Abstracts - Guidelines
- Abstracts must follow the PRS abstract format guidelines detailed below.
- Limit one 'first author' submission per individual; multiple submissions from the same dataset are discouraged.
- Abstracts with ‘research-in-progress’ are accepted, but will not be eligible for awards or oral presentations. Abstracts must be completed for poster presentation.
- Abstracts are peer reviewed and ranked on the basis of scientific merit in the category selected. The Program Committee will use these rankings to designate awards and develop the final meeting program (oral and poster presentations).
- Relevant abstracts should be marked/noted as DEI research and/or research supported by department intramural funding.
- Informed Consent & Disclosure: Investigators should consider and disclose potential conflicts of interest in connection with papers presented at the Symposium. Abstracts must also comply with the following:
- Animals: Studies involving animals must conform to the “Guiding Principles in the Care and Use of Animals” of the American Physiological Society.
- Human Subjects: Studies involving human subjects must be conducted according to a protocol approved by an Institutional Review Board.
- Abstracts will be published in the Symposium proceedings online at this Symposium website.
*Abstracts must be submitted as a Word document (.docx) --- 1 page --- 11pt. Arial or Times New Roman font --- single-spaced --- 1" margins
- Title: bold, all caps, ~200 characters with spaces
- Authors & Affiliations: List author name(s) and affiliations (divisional, departmental, and/or institutional affiliations) Do not include degrees, institutional appointments, street address or zip codes. Underscore the “primary/submitting” author so we know who will be presenting the work.
- Body: Body text should not exceed 3000 characters, including spaces. The abstract is to be written using the hypothesis method. Organize the body of the abstract to include the headings of background, objectives, design/method, results and conclusions. These headings should be in bold.
- Abbreviations. Place nonstandard abbreviations in parentheses after the full word the first time it appears. Do not use abbreviations in the abstract title.
- Fill out completely and submit the Abstract Submission Form, including the abstract (following the format guidelines above).
- Upload the abstract as a Word document with file name containing submitting author’s last name, example SMITH_PRS_2023.
- Reminder: Check that the abstract title matches the title in the submission form
- All abstracts are accepted! Submitting author(s) will receive a confirmation email; all abstracts are accepted for poster presentation; platform presentations are invited separately.
- Authors of accepted abstracts are expected to participate 'in person' during the main poster session on Tuesday, May 23, 1-3 PM (in Towsley Center).
- Authors of accepted abstracts must inform the Program Committee immediately if unable to present (poster or oral). Authors may confer with the Program Committee to designate a corresponding author to present, or may choose to retract the abstract.
- POSTER FORMAT: Poster size: 3' x 4' (36" x 48") or smaller (horizontal or vertical); posters do not have a special/standard format, nor do they have to be printed on glossy paper. This poster size will accommodate all research areas (including most basic science which tends to have more images).
- Poster design & printing resources: Research Guides: Designing Presentation & Research Posters.
- Here are some poster printing resources at Michigan Medicine:
- Oral presentations will be selected on the basis of quality and topic of interest. If you do not wish to be considered for an oral/platform presentation, please check the 'Poster Only' box on the abstract submission form.
- First authors will be invited for oral presentations approximately 2 weeks prior to the symposium date. Because of this short notice, abstract authors should plan to be available on the Symposium date (May 23, 12-1:30 PM), or they should check the 'Poster Only' box on the registration form.
- Authors must inform the Program Committee immediately if unable to accept the invitation to give an oral presentation or if a co-author will be presenting in their place.
- Authors giving an oral presentation may, but are not expected, to present a poster.