Dr. Kyle Cuneo studied Biological Engineering at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. He then enrolled at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in Nashville, TN, earning his Doctor of Medicine degree in 2007. Dr. Cuneo performed his intern year in Internal Medicine at Vanderbilt University in 2008. He completed his residency in Radiation Oncology at Duke University Medical Center in 2012. Dr. Cuneo has been faculty at the University of Michigan since 2012. Dr. Cuneo is a member of the multidisciplinary teams managing patients with hepatobiliary cancers, colorectal cancers, lymphomas, and sarcomas.
Dr. Cuneo performs translational and clinical research in gastrointestinal malignancies including liver, pancreas, and colorectal cancers. He has published over 80 scientific articles in the field of oncology. Dr. Cuneo has served as Chair of the Protocol Review Committee and the GI Clinical Research Team at the Rogel Cancer Center. He has been awarded Teacher of the Year for Clinical Radiation Oncology and Radiation Biology.
Areas of Interest
- Use of novel technologies and radiation sensitizers in gastrointestinal cancers
- Clinical trial design and implementation
- Liver Cancer
- Pancreas Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Cutaneous Lymphoma
- Stereotactic Radiation Therapy
- BS, Cornell University 1998-2002.
- MD, Vanderbilt University 2002-2007.
- Residency, Duke University 2008-2012.
- American Board of Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Board Certified 2013 – present.
- Zhang W, Oraiqat I, Litzenberg D, Chang K-W, Hadley S, Sunbul NB, Matuszak MM, Tichacek CJ, Moros EG, Carson PL, Cuneo KC (senior author), Wang X, El Naqa I: Real-time, volumetric imaging of radiation dose delivery deep into the liver during cancer treatment. Nat Biotechnol.01/2023. PM36593414
- Cousins MM, Devasia TP, Maurino CM, Mikell J, Schipper MJ, Kaza RK, Lawrence TS, Cuneo KC (senior author), Dewaraja YK: Pretreatment Levels of Soluble Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptor 1 and Hepatocyte Growth Factor Predict Toxicity and Overall Survival After Y90 Radioembolization: Potential Novel Application of Biomarkers for Personalized Management of Hepatotoxicity. Journal of Nuclear Medicine.63(6): 882-889, 06/2022. PM34503962
- Cousins MM, Morris E, Maurino C, Devasia TP, Karnak D, Dipankar R, Parikh ND, Owen D, Haken RK T, Schipper MJ, Lawrence TS, Cuneo KC: TNFR1 and the TNFα axis as a targetable mediator of liver injury from stereotactic body radiation therapy. Translational Oncology.11/2020. PM33395747
- Cuneo KC, Morgan MA, Sahai V, Schipper MJ, Parsels LA, Parsels JD, Devasia T, Al-Hawaray M, Cho CS, Nathan H, Maybaum J, Zalupski MM, Lawrence TS: Dose Escalation Trial of the Wee1 Inhibitor Adavosertib (AZD1775) in Combination With Gemcitabine and Radiation for Patients With Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. J Clin Oncol.37(29): 2643-2650, 10/2019. PM31398082
- Cuneo KC, Devasia T, Sun Y, Schipper MJ, Karnak D, Davis MA, Owen D, Feng M, El Naqa I, Bazzi L, Ten Haken R, Lawrence TS: Serum Levels of Hepatocyte Growth Factor and CD40 Ligand Predict Radiation-Induced Liver Injury. Translational Oncology.12(7): 889-894, 07/2019. PM31078059
- Cuneo KC, Mehta RK, Kurapati H, Thomas DG, Lawrence TS, Nyati MK: Enhancing the Radiation Response in KRAS Mutant Colorectal Cancers Using the c-Met Inhibitor Crizotinib. Transl Oncology.12: 209-216, 11/2018. PM30412912
- Cuneo K, Morgan M, Hawkins P, Greenson J, Griffith K, Ben-Josef E, Lawrence T, Zalupski ME C: Prognostic Value of c-MET Expression in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer Receiving Adjuvant and Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation Therapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics (IJROBP).100: 490-497, 02/2018. PM29229329
- Cuneo KC, Morgan MA, Davis MA, Parcels LA, Parcels J, Karnak D, Ryan C, Liu N, Maybaum J, Lawrence TS: Wee1 Kinase Inhibitor AZD1775 Radiosensitizes Hepatocellular Carcinoma Regardless of TP53 Mutational Status Through Induction of Replication Stress. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.95(2): 782-790, 06/2016. PM26975930
- Cuneo KC, Nyati MK, Ray D, Lawrence TS: EGFR targeted therapies and radiation: Optimizing efficacy by appropriate drug scheduling and patient selection. Pharmacol Ther.154: 67-77, 10/2015. PM26205191
- Cuneo KC, Davis MA, Feng MU, Novelli PM, Ensminger WD, Lawrence TS: Low dose rate radiosensitization of hepatocellular carcinoma in vitro and in patients. Transl Oncol.7(4): 472-478, 08/2014. PM24956939
- Cuneo KC, Mito JK, Javid MP, Ferrer JM, Kim Y, Lee WD, Bawendi MG, Brigman BE, Kirsch DG: Imaging primary mouse sarcomas after radiation therapy using cathepsin-activatable fluorescent imaging agents. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.86(1): 136-142, 05/2013. PM23391816
- Cuneo KC, Vredenburgh JJ, Sampson JH, Reardon DA, Desjardins A, Peters KB, Friedman HS, Willett CG, Kirkpatrick JP: Safety and efficacy of stereotactic radiosurgery and adjuvant bevacizumab in patients with recurrent malignant gliomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys.82(5): 2018-2024, 04/2012. PM21489708
- Cuneo KC, Tu T, Geng L, Fu A, Hallahan DE, Willey CD: HIV protease inhibitors enhance the efficacy of irradiation. Cancer Res.67(10): 4886-4893, 05/2007. PM17510418
- Geng L, Cuneo KC (co-first author), Fu A, Tu T, Atadja PW, Hallahan DE: Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor LBH589 increases duration of gamma-H2AX foci and confines HDAC4 to the cytoplasm in irradiated non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res.66(23): 11298-11304, 12/2006. PM17145876