Skip to content
- Our graduates have become leaders in the profession and served as presidents, board members, and committee chairs of the National Society of Genetic Counselors, board members of the American Board of Genetic Counseling, advisors on national public policy groups, directors and co-directors of genetic counseling training programs in the US & Canada and innovators in the practice of genetic counseling.
- The average incoming class size for the UMGCP is 8-10 students.
- Our curriculum is responsive to the individual interests of each student- including classroom, clinical, and research arenas.
- Leaders in their fields provide classroom instruction. This expertise includes genetic counseling, clinical genetics, basic and medical science, and public health.
- In addition to a strong core curriculum, students can take electives in a diverse group of disciplines across the UM campus. Our campus houses multiple world-renowned programs.
- Clinical training begins the first semester of graduate school. Our sites include a diverse range of nationally acclaimed genetics clinics.
- Students typically log over 150 cases during their clinical training experience.
- Research projects are derived from students’ own interests and are mentored by experienced research faculty in numerous disciplines.
- Each member of the Program has an open door policy and is tremendously invested in the success of each student.
- Our graduates enjoy fantastic success on the ABGC Board Examinations (the national certification). The cumulative pass rate for 1st time test takers in the past three years (Classes of 2020, 2021, and 2022) is 90% and for the past five years (Classes of 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022) is 91%.
- Graduates are prepared to enter diverse work settings. The job placement in a genetic counseling or related position is 100%.
- We provide a highly supportive educational environment. For the three most recent classes of students (Classes of 2021, 2022, and 2023), the degree completion rate is 100% (0% attrition).