Martha M. Funnell is an Associate Research Scientist of Learning Health Sciences and an Adjunct Lecturer of Nursing. Her primary research interests are in the areas of patient empowerment, diabetes self-management education and psychosocial support. Along with over 170 peer-reviewed publications and more than 220 national and international presentations, she is also author or editor of three education curricula published by the American Diabetes Association, 5 books for health professionals, 1 book for people with diabetes and 25 book chapters.
She received the American Diabetes Association Outstanding Educator in Diabetes Award, the Distinguished Service Award and the Lifetime Achievement award from the American Association of Diabetes Educators. She served as Chair of the National Diabetes Education Program, President, Health Care and Education of the American Diabetes Association. Martha received her master’s degree in nursing (medical/surgical) from the University of Michigan, and her bachelor’s degree from Lenoir Rhyne University in Hickory, North Carolina.
Areas of Interest
Research and scholarly interests: patient empowerment, diabetes self-management education and support, patient-centered medical homes, care management for chronic disease, patient engagement, shared decision-making, peer support in chronic illness, health professional training
Subject-matter expertise: diabetes care and self-management, patient education, psychosocial support and behavioral goal-setting in chronic disease, care management training, patient-professional communication strategies
Other professional highlights:
- Over 170 peer-reviewed publications
- Co-author or editor of 6 books
- Past-President, Health Care and education, American Diabetes Association
- Past-Chair, National Diabetes Education Program, National Institutes of Health and Centers for Disease Control
- DAWN2 Project, International Study Group
- Scientific Advisory Board, European Union Diabetes Literacy project
- Co-Chair, WHO conference on Peer Support in Diabetes
- Faculty, Master of Health Professions Education program
- Peyrot M, Egede LE, Campos C, Cannon AJ, Funnell MM, Hsu WC, Ruggerio L, Siminerio LM, Sutckey HL. Ethnic differences in psychological outcomes among people with diabetes: USA results from the second Diabetes Attitudes, Wishes and Needs (DAWN2) study. Current Medical Research and Opinion 2014, 1-14. Doi: 10.11485/03007995.2014.947023
- Funnell MM, Piatt GA Lancet. Diabetes quality improvement: beyond glucose control. 2012 Jun 16;379(9833):2218-9.
- Bailey RA, Pfeifer M, Shillington AC, Harshaw Q, Funnell MM, VanIngen J, Col N. Effect of a patient decision aid (PDA) for type 2 diabetes on knowledge, decisional self-efficacy and decisional conflict. BMC Health Services Research 16:10-22, 2016. DOI 10.1186/s2913-016-1262-4
- Tang TS, Funnell MM, Sinco B, Spencer MS, Heisler M. Peer-led, empowerment-based approach to self-management efforts in diabetes (PLEASED): a randomized controlled trial in an African American community. Annals of Family Medicine13:S27-S35, 2015
- Rossi MC, Lucisano G, Funnell M, Pintaudi B, Bulotta A, Gentile S, Scardapane M, Skovlund SE, Vespasiani G, Nicolucci A; BENCH-D Study Group. Interplay among patient empowerment and clinical and person-centered outcomes in type 2 diabetes. The BENCH-D study. Patient Educ Couns. 98:1142-1149, 2015.
- Powers MA, Bardsley J, Cypress M, Duker P, Funnell MM, Fischl AH, Maryniuk MD, Siminerio L, Vivian E. Diabetes self-management education and support in type 2 diabetes: a joint position statement of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Diabetes Care 38:1372-1382, 2015.