John Donnelly is currently a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Learning Health Sciences at the University of Michigan (UM) Medical School and an Implementation Scientist in the Precision Health Implementation Workgroup at UM. He is also an Implementation Scientist at the QUERI Center for Evaluation and Implementation Resources (CEIR) and an Associate Investigator in the HSR&D Center for Clinical Management Research (CCMR) at the Veterans Affairs Ann Arbor Health System. He received his PhD in epidemiology from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and joined the faculty at UM in 2018. He was previously a scholar in the Training to Advance Care Through Implementation Science in Cardiac and Lung Illnesses (TACTICAL) program, which is an NIH/NHLBI funded training grant focused on applied implementation science to improve care for critically ill patients. His primary area of research is the linkage of advanced quantitative methods with implementation science to improve care for patients with life-threatening infection. In addition to implementation science, John has expertise in the areas of health services research, study design methodology, statistical methods, and observational causal inference.
Other Professional Highlights
- Over 75 publications
- Methodology and statistics editor for Annals of Emergency Medicine
- Reviewer for Annals of Internal Medicine, Lancet Infectious Diseases, Lancet Respiratory Medicine, JAMA, among other journals
Areas of Interest
Implementation science, sepsis screening and risk stratification tools among high-risk populations, promoting appropriate antibiotic utilization in patients with critical illnesses, patient safety and infection control, longitudinal approaches for the control of time-varying confounding
Subject Matter Expertise
Epidemiological methods, sepsis epidemiology and outcomes, pharmacoepidemiology, risk score development and validation, longitudinal data analysis, analysis of administrative databases and claims data, mixed effects modeling, geospatial analysis, profiling organizational performance
Published Articles or Reviews
- Donnelly JP, Wang XQ, Iwashyna TJ, Prescott HC. Readmission and Death After Initial Hospital Discharge Among Patients With COVID-19 in a Large Multihospital System. JAMA. 2021 Jan 19;325(3):304-306. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.21465. PMID: 33315057; PMCID: PMC7737131.
- Donnelly JP, Lakkur S, Judd SE, Levitan EB, Griffin R, Howard G, Safford MM, Wang HE. Association of Neighborhood Socioeconomic Status With Risk of Infection and Sepsis. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Jun 1;66(12):1940-1947. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix1109. PMID: 29444225; PMCID: PMC6248765.
- Donnelly JP, Safford MM, Shapiro NI, Baddley JW, Wang HE. Application of the Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis (Sepsis-3) Classification: a retrospective population-based cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017 Jun;17(6):661-670. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(17)30117-2. Epub 2017 Mar 4. PMID: 28268067; PMCID: PMC5449202.