December 08, 2020
The Catherine Street hospitals: The start of the modern University of Michigan medical campus
A look back at a December 1891 milestone in the 150-year history of our academic medical center
This week in 1891, two massive new brick buildings opened on Catherine Street in Ann Arbor, ushering in a new era of U-M medical care.
The new hospitals replaced the crowded, wood-frame one that we had opened in a former professor's house on North University Ave. in December 1869, and expanded in the 1870s. Moving medical care from the main U-M Diag to this site a few blocks north created a more fitting home for one of the nation's first academic medical centers.
Read more about the early days of the U-M medical campus, and access an interactive map with detailed descriptions of many of its buildings, in the Department of Communication Newsroom.