UM PREP accepts up to 11 scholars into the program, which starts July 1 of each year. During the first month of the program, UM PREP directors will help students match with a faculty mentor whose lab is doing research of interest to them. More than 150 U-M faculty members are available to mentor UM PREP scholars for their 1-year research experience, including guidance in the graduate school application process.
In the 2020-21 year UM PREP scholars will receive a salary of $28,000, plus health benefits and dental insurance.
Beyond their work on research projects, UM PREP scholars have opportunities to participate in activities designed to enhance their preparation for graduate school, such as:
- A preparation course for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Social events.
- Seminars and journal clubs.
- Opportunities to enhance their studies with a graduate course in the fall or winter term.
- Opportunities to present research projects and discuss graduate school and career advice with faculty mentors.
- Career development events for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
- Help with applying to graduate school.