The majority of students who enroll at the University of Michigan Medical School apply for financial aid. We require only two applications to be considered for all types of institutional and federal aid available through the med school, including scholarships, grants and loans:
- FAFSA: All students who would like to be considered for any type of aid must start with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Start your FAFSA. PLEASE NOTE: The 2024-25 FAFSA release date has been delayed; it will not be available until sometime in December. Please see the Department of Education’s website for details.
- U-M Medical School Financial Aid Application: Select the appropriate financial aid application below.
U-M Medical School Financial Aid Application for Entering and Prospective Students (available in December).
U-M Medical School Financial Aid Application for Continuing Students. New for 24-25: The financial aid application for continuing students will be available sometime in December and is now .pdf that can be completed and uploaded directly to your Wolverine Access account. Please note that due to the elimination of parental data on FAFSA, parental information will now be requested on the UMMS Continuing Student financial aid application, if you are interested in an LDS loan only.
Private scholarships and loans will have their own applications and deadlines, so be sure to make note of those as you research other options.
Applications for financial aid will need to be submitted each year.
Newly admitted students should review their specific financial aid deadlines on Next Steps.
Continuing (current) students must submit both the FAFSA and UMMS applications by March 31, 2024 to be eligible for financial aid. If we need any supplemental materials from you after that, we’ll let you know.
Details to note about financial aid at the University of Michigan Medical School:
- Parental information must be included on the UMMS Financial Aid Application for any financial aid options available through the School. Parental information is not needed if you are applying only for the William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan and/or the Grad PLUS Loan.
- The federal school code for the University of Michigan Medical School is E00398. Be sure to list this code on your FAFSA so that our office will receive a set of official results from your application.
Before You Apply
A quick checklist before you start the two financial aid applications:
- Be sure that federal income tax forms for the appropriate year (2022 taxes for 2024-2025 FAFSA) have been completed for you (and your spouse, if you are married).
- If you can’t provide parent information due to special circumstances, please contact us immediately so we can help you complete the application on time.
- Sign up for your Federal Student Aid ID. This will allow you to electronically sign your application and make any updates to your application later.
- Review our Consumer Information before completing either financial aid application.
- Keep copies of all information submitted for your records.