Dr. Balter has over 30 years of research experience in development and optimal use of novel imaging solutions to address Radiation Oncology problems. His research has focused on a few specific areas:
- Dynamic human modeling
- Optimizing integration of MRI in Radiation Oncology, including development of synthetic CT models of patients to support MRI-only Radiation Therapy Simulation and investigations of sparsity for biological, morphological and motion modeling of humans from MR signals
- Advancing precise Image-Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Studying the complexity of therapeutic decisions and the sparsity of information sufficient to justify decisions throughout the radiotherapy process
- Improving and evaluating the impact of alignment uncertainty on radiation therapy and related decisions
- Projection-to-volume modeling of pose, configuration, and movement
Dr. Balter participates as an active member of the Functional Imaging Group and has industrial collaborations with Siemens Healthineers.
Areas of Interest
- Dynamic Human Modeling
- Imaging in Radiation Therapy
- Optimizing use of MRI in Radiation Therapy
- Stereotactic treatment, Image alignment and uncertainty
- Sterotactic body radiation therapy
- Image-guided radiation therapy
Honors & Awards
2021 Fellow, American Society for Radiation Oncology
2009 Fellow, American Association of Physics in Medicine
1998-2001 Sydney Kimmel Scholars award
- PhD, University of Chicago, 1992
- Diplomate: American Board of Medical Physics
- R01 CA262182, (PI:Cao),7/1/2021-6/30/2026, National Institutes of Health: A clinical tool for automated detection and delineation of intracranial metastases from MRI, Role,Co-Investigator.
- R01 EB016079, (PI: Balter), 4/1/2013-12/31/2022, National Institutes of Health: Optimizing MRI for radiation therapy treatment planning, Role: Principal Investigator.
Published Articles or Reviews
Selected from 157 publications
- Johansson A, Balter JM, Cao Y: Gastrointestinal 4D MRI with respiratory motion correction. Med Phys: 2021. PM33595909
- Speers C, Murthy VL, Walker EM, Glide-Hurst CK, Marsh R, Tang M, Morris EL, Schipper MJ, Weinberg RL, Gits HC, Hayman J, Feng M, Balter J, Moran J, Jagsi R, Pierce LJ: Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Blood Biomarkers for Evaluation of Radiation-Induced Cardiotoxicity in Patients With Breast Cancer: Results of a Phase 2 Clinical Trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 112(2): 417-425, 2022. PM34509552
- Liu L, Johansson A, Cao Y, Kashani R, Lawrence TS, Balter JM. Modeling intra-fractional abdominal configuration changes using breathing motion-corrected radial MRI. Phys Med Biol. 2021 Apr 12;66(8). doi: 10.1088/1361-6560/abef42. PMID: 33725676
- Zhang Y, Kashani R, Cao Y, Lawrence TS, Johansson A, Balter JM. A hierarchical model of abdominal configuration changes extracted from golden angle radial magnetic resonance imaging. Phys Med Biol. 2021 Feb 9;66(4):045018. doi: 10.1088/1361-6560/abd66e. PMID: 33361579
- Choi SW, Gerhardson TI, Duclos SE, Surowiec RK, Scheven UM, Galban S, Lee FT, Greve JM, Balter JM, Hall TL, Xu Z. Stereotactic Transcranial Focused Ultrasound Targeting System for Murine Brain Models. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2021 Jan;68(1):154-163. doi: 10.1109/TUFFC.2020.3012303. Epub 2020 Dec 23. PMID: 32746229 Free PMC article.
- Yoo Y, Ceccaldi P, Liu S, Re TJ, Cao Y, Balter JM, Gibson E. Evaluating deep learning methods in detecting and segmenting different sizes of brain metastases on 3D post-contrast T1-weighted images. J Med Imaging (Bellingham). 2021 May;8(3):037001. doi: 10.1117/1.JMI.8.3.037001. Epub 2021 May 22. PMID: 34041305
- Liu L, Johansson A, Cao Y, Dow J, Lawrence TS, Balter JM. Abdominal synthetic CT generation from MR Dixon images using a U-net trained with 'semi-synthetic' CT data. Phys Med Biol. 2020 Jun 15;65(12):125001. doi: 10.1088/1361-6560/ab8cd2. PMID: 32330923