Dr. Mayo has over 27 years’ experience in clinical medical physics and translational research, particularly in the areas of advanced treatment planning techniques with IMRT/VMAT and in the study of normal tissue tolerances as part of the QUANTEC effort. His current interests are in the areas of health care informatics (infrastructure, standardizations, and analysis), application of statistical methods in treatment and outcomes modeling, and automation of advanced treatment planning methods. This includes enabling routine, the use of retrospective statistical models developed from prior treatment experience for all patients treated in a practice to inform decisions for subsequent patients, and extending these approaches to investigate multi-institutional experience to guide health care policy.
Areas of Interest
- Development of analytics metrics and visualizations distilled from big data resources to improve practice and outcomes.
- Construction and of big data resource systems enabling aggregation of key data elements as part of routine practice.
- Use of analytics to improve quality of healthcare and to guide health care policy.
- Advanced treatment planning methods with VMAT/IMRT
- Development of dose response models
- Creation and use of spatial dose objects to improve treatment planning and evaluation
Honors & Awards
2016 Physics Teacher of the Year in Radiation Oncology
2012 Fellow of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine
- PhD, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1990
Published Articles or Reviews
Selected from 50 publications
- Mayo CS, Moran JM, Bosch W, Xiao Y, McNutt T, Popple R, Michalski J, Feng M, Marks LB, Fuller CD, Yorke E, Palta J, Gabriel PE, Molineu A, Matuszak MM, Covington E, Masi K, Richardson SL, Ritter T, Morgas T, Flampouri S, Santanam L, Moore JA, Purdie TG, Miller RC, Hurkmans C, Adams J, Jackie Wu QR, Fox CJ, Siochi RA, Brown NL, Verbakel W, Archambault Y, Chmura SJ, Dekker AL, Eagle DG, Fitzgerald TJ, Hong T, Kapoor R, Lansing B, Jolly S, Napolitano ME, Percy J, Rose MS, Siddiqui S, Schadt C, Simon WE, Straube WL, St James ST, Ulin K, Yom SS, Yock TI: American Association of Physicists in Medicine Task Group 263: Standardizing Nomenclatures in Radiation Oncology. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018 Mar 15;100(4):1057-1066.
- Mayo CS, Yao J, Eisbruch A, Balter JM, Litzenberg DW, Matuszak MM, Kessler ML, Weyburn G, Anderson CJ, Owen D, Jackson WC, Haken RT: Incorporating big data into treatment plan evaluation: Development of statistical DVH metrics and visualization dashboards.Adv Radiat Oncol. 2017 Apr 27;2(3):503-514.
- Mayo CS, Kessler ML, Eisbruch A, Weyburne G, Feng M, Hayman JA, Jolly S, El Naqa I, Moran JM, Matuszak MM, Anderson CJ, Holevinski LP, McShan DL, Merkel SM, Machnak SL, Lawrence TS, Ten Haken RK: The big data effort in radiation oncology: data mining or data farming? ARO. 1(4): 260-271, 2016.
- Mayo C, Yorke E, Merchant TE. Radiation Associated Brain-Stem Injury. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 76(3 SUPPL.): S36-S41, 2010.
- Mayo C, Martel MK, Marks LB, Flickinger J, Nam J, Kirkpatrick J. Radiation Dose-Volume Effects of Optic Nerves and Chiasm. Int. J. Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 76(3 SUPPL.): S28-S35, 2010.
- Mayo CS, Urie MM, Fitzgerald TJ. Hybrid IMRT plans - Concurrently treating conventional and IMRT beams for improved breast irradiation and reduced planning time. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 61(3): 922-932, 2005.