Over the past 27 years, Dr. Bloom has practiced pediatric radiology with a focus on body imaging, including gastrointestinal, genitourinary and oncologic imaging. His clinical interests include body MRI and its application to pediatric solid tumors, imaging of inflammatory bowel disease and congenital genitourinary anomalies. Dr. Bloom has helped lead the division’s pediatric urology/radiology, pediatric gastroenterology/radiology multidisciplinary conferences and is pediatric radiology co-lead for the Michigan Solid Tumor Oncology Program (MSTOP) since his arrival in Ann Arbor.
Dr. Bloom also has a strong interest in medical education, and is currently the Medical School Clerkship Director for the Department of Radiology and pediatric radiology division lead for radiology resident education at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Bloom currently serves on several national committees including as vice chair of the Society for Pediatric Radiology (SPR) Physician Resource committee, as well as a member of the SPR Imaging of Child Abuse committee, the SPR national fellowship curriculum workgroup, and the Association of University Radiologists Education committee.
Clinical interests include pediatric genitourinary imaging, imaging of child abuse, imaging of skeletal dysplasias, advanced pediatric body MRI applications, and pediatric oncologic imaging. I also have an interest in novel approaches to medical student and resident/fellow education.
Honors & Awards
2004, 2005:Teacher of the Year, Wayne State University Department of Radiology, Detroit, MI
2012: Fellow, American College of Radiology
2013: Founder’s Day Faculty Recognition Award, Oakland University, Rochester, MI
2013: Beaumont Health System Outstanding Medical Education and Teaching Award, Royal Oak, MI
2014: Teacher of the Year, Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Molecular Imaging, Beaumont Health System, Royal Oak, MI
2020, 2022, 2023: Teacher of the Year, Pediatric Radiology, Department of Radiology, Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI
Medical School or Training
- University of Michigan Medical School, 1989
- Brigham & Women's Hospital, Diagnostic Radiology, MA, 1994
- Pediatric Radiology, Boston Children's Hospital, 1996
- Pediatric Radiology
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Joshi A, Bloom DA. See One, Sim Many, Do One, Teach One: Opportunities to Improve Resident Skills and Standardize Competencies in Radiology. Acad Radiol. 2021 Jun;28(6):868-870. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2020.11.022. Epub 2020 Dec 15. PMID: 33334654.
- Joshi A, Bloom DA, Spencer A, Gaetke-Udager K, Cohan RH. Video Interviewing: A Review and Recommendations for Implementation in the Era of COVID-19 and Beyond. Acad Radiol. 2020 Sep;27(9):1316-1322. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2020.05.020. Epub 2020 Jun 8. PMID: 32563558; PMCID: PMC7833741.
- Bloom DA, Reid JR, Cassady CI. Education in the time of COVID-19. Pediatr Radiol. 2020 Jul;50(8):1055-1058. doi: 10.1007/s00247-020-04728-8. Epub 2020 May 28. PMID: 32468286.
- Ayyala RS, Baird G, Bloom DA, McDaniel JD, Lampl B. Evaluation of stress and anxiety caused by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic in pediatric radiology. Pediatr Radiol. 2021 Aug;51(9):1589-1596. doi: 10.1007/s00247-021-05088-7. Epub 2021 May 14. PMID: 33988753; PMCID: PMC8120253.
- Bender J, Anderson B, Bloom DA, Rabah R, McDougall R, Vats P, Mody R. Refractory and metastatic infantile fibrosarcoma harboring LMNA-NTRK1 fusion shows complete and durable response to crizotinib. Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud. 2019 Feb 1;5(1):a003376. doi: 10.1101/mcs.a003376. PMID: 30709876; PMCID: PMC6371745.
- Bloom DA. The future is now: insights into finding tomorrow's pediatric radiologists. Pediatr Radiol. 2020 Feb;50(2):161-163. doi: 10.1007/s00247-019-04577-0. Epub 2019 Dec 4. PMID: 31802181.
- Singer AAM, Bloom DA, Adler J. Factors Associated With Development of Perianal Fistulas in Pediatric Patients With Crohn's Disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021 May;19(5):1071-1073. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2020.04.060. Epub 2020 Apr 30. PMID: 32360805.
- Chehab M, Hlubocky J, Olariu E, Bloom D, Nandalur K. Comprehensive magnetic resonance enterography of Crohn's disease in the pediatric population: technique, interpretation, and management. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2015 Mar-Apr;44(2):193-206. doi: 10.1067/j.cpradiol.2014.07.003. Epub 2014 Aug 22. PMID: 25155516.
- Wong KK, Sedig LK, Bloom DA, Hutchinson RJ, Shulkin BL. 18F-2-fluoro-2-deoxyglucose uptake in white adipose tissue on pediatric oncologic positron emission tomography (PET)/computed tomography (CT). Pediatr Radiol. 2020 Apr;50(4):524-533. doi: 10.1007/s00247-019-04574-3. Epub 2019 Nov 27. PMID: 31776602.
- Nguyen HN, Navarro OM, Bloom DA, Feinstein KA, Guillerman RP, Munden MM, Sammer MBK, Silva CT. Ultrasound for Midgut Malrotation and Midgut Volvulus: AJR Expert Panel Narrative Review. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2022 Jun;218(6):931-939. doi: 10.2214/AJR.21.27242. Epub 2022 Feb 2. PMID: 35107311.
- Lopyan NM, Perrone EE, VanHulle R, Bloom DA, Mychaliska GB, Speck KE. A single institution's experience with the management of peripheral bronchial atresia. Pediatr Surg Int. 2022 Jun;38(6):853-860. doi: 10.1007/s00383-022-05089-z. Epub 2022 Mar 1. PMID: 35229175.