J. Brian Fowlkes, PhD is Professor of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering at the University of Michigan. He joined the University of Michigan in 1988 where he directs research in ultrasound for diagnostic and therapeutic applications. His work includes investigation of acoustic droplet vaporization, utilization of gas bubbles in high intensity ultrasound including histotripsy, volume flow estimation from 3D color flow imaging, and assessment of urinary tract function using ultrasound imaging and contrast agents.
Dr. Fowlkes is a Fellow and former President of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM). He is recipient of the Joseph H. Holmes Pioneer Award for Basic Science from the AIUM. Dr. Fowlkes is a Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biomedical Engineering (AIMBE), the Acoustical Society of America (ASA) and the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM).
Areas of Interest
Biomedical Imaging, Biomedical Ultrasonics and Image-Guided Therapy.
- BS, Physics, University of Central Arkansas, Conway, Arkansas, 1983
- MS, Physics, University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi, 1986
- PhD, Physics, University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi, 1988
- Acoustical Society of America
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering
- International Contrast Ultrasound Society