Frequently Asked Questions

What number do I call if I am having a psychiatric emergency?

Please call 9-1-1 if you or a loved one are in immediate danger. You can also call the Psychiatric Emergency Room at the University of Michigan Hospital at 734-936-5900.

What number do I call to make an outpatient appointment?

Please call (734) 764-0231. Learn about what to expect during your first appointment here.

What is your address?

The University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry holds offices all across the U-M medical campus. Our outpatient care is delivered at the Rachel Upjohn Building (Click here for directions and a map), however inpatient, ECT and emergency care is delivered within the University Hospital at 1500 E Medical Center Drive in Ann Arbor, MI, 48109. Some of our other offices, including neuropsychiatry, are located in other areas within Ann Arbor. Directions will be sent to you at the time of your appointment.

The University of Michigan Eisenberg Family Depression Center is located within the Rachel Upjohn Building at 4250 Plymouth Road in Ann Arbor, MI 48109. (see above)

What is the relationship between the U-M Department of Psychiatry and Eisenberg Family Depression Center?

The University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry and the Eisenberg Family
Depression Center have a very collaborative relationship. While the department is focused on clinical care, research and training the next generation of providers, the Eisenberg Family Depression Center’s primary focus is education and outreach. As part of an Academic Medical Center, the department appoints faculty to provide clinical care, conduct research and educate trainees. The Eisenberg Family Depression Center is membership-based and includes faculty and staff across the University of Michigan, and assists in coalescing members across psychiatry and the campus community who have similar interests leading to multidisciplinary research.

The Department of Psychiatry has many areas of clinical specialty. These include; bipolar disorder, anxiety, eating disorders for adolescents and young adults, women’s & infant mental health, addiction, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and child and adolescent psychiatry, just to name a few.

What can you tell me about child and adolescent psychiatry?

The department also encompasses child and adolescent psychiatry which you can learn more about here. In 2016, we opened a brand new children’s inpatient unit within C.S. Mott’s Children Hospital, called the Nyman Family Unit for Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Wellness. Learn more about child and adolescent behavioral & mental health here.

Are there patient and family support groups available?

We do have depression and bipolar support groups available that are free of charge and open to the public, though registration is required. Click here for more information.

How may I participate in research?

There are many options to become involved as a research participant. For a full list of available studies please visit the central University of Michigan research volunteer website here. Learn even more about participating in research here.

Is there a psychiatry residency program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)?

Yes, our Department of Psychiatry Residency Training Program has full ACGME accreditation. In addition, our subspecialty graduate medical education fellowship programs in Addiction Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry, Geriatric Psychiatry, and Psychosomatic Medicine, are all accredited by the ACGME. We have one of the largest faculty with American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) board certification in geriatric psychiatry in the country. Please contact for more information.

Are there other ways to become involved?

There are many ways to get more involved with the Department of Psychiatry and the Eisenberg Family Depression Center. The Eisenberg Family Depression Center has a Community Volunteer Committee which you can learn about here. The Department of Psychiatry has a Patient & Family Advisory Committee (PFAC) which you can learn about here.

Are you interested in giving? Become a donor for the Department of Psychiatry here or for the Eisenberg Family Depression Center here.