Pharmacy Student Internship Opportunities
In addition to the IPPE and APPE Rotations offered to UM College of Pharmacy students at Michigan Medicine, there are also opportunities for pharmacy internships. The Department of Pharmacy Services Internship Program strives to foster the professional development of pharmacy students by providing them with the abilities, skills and knowledge necessary to thrive as future pharmacists and by exposing them to health system pharmacy as a whole through shadowing opportunities and weekly speakers. Additionally, the program aims to promote progressive thinking by providing students with the opportunity to take part in innovative projects that leave a lasting impact on the institution.
The mission of the Michigan Medicine Department of Pharmacy Services Internship Program is to prepare pharmacy interns to become leaders in health-system pharmacy practice. Interns will be challenged to solve issues in health-system pharmacy with the mentorship and guidance from an experienced pharmacy department staff who are leaders in the profession. The Pharmacy Internship prepares pharmacy interns for residency and careers in health-system pharmacy practice, and aims to prepare student pharmacists to provide the best possible patient care and so they can achieve future career goals.
The Michigan Medicine Pharmacy Internship program focuses on the following areas for development:
- Patient Care Skills in Pharmacy Operations: Pharmacy Interns will establish an intimate level of understanding of pharmacy operations within their areas of focus within the health system setting through staffing experiences and completion of a process improvement initiative.
- Patient Care Skills through Clinical Practice Exposure: Pharmacy Interns will begin to develop knowledge and skills required to be a successful pharmacist within each respective pharmacy practice area. Interns will be afforded increasing clinical opportunities as they progress throughout the internship.
- Professionalism: Pharmacy Interns will develop skills as future healthcare practitioners consistent with the highest ethical and professional standards. Interns will be provided opportunities to develop their professional presence.
- Leadership: Pharmacy Interns will learn foundational and essential skills needed to effectively lead within the field of pharmacy. Interns will have opportunities to gain leadership experiences through formal roles, within their respective work areas, and by the mentorship and training by the leaders within the pharmacy department.
- Communication: Pharmacy Interns will have the opportunity to develop communication skills through interactions with fellow team members as well as other health care professionals in order to provide the best possible patient care
The Pharmacy Internship program at Michigan Medicine aims to be the premier pharmacy internship program and a model for other pharmacy programs and departments, with the ultimate goal of preparing student pharmacists for the highest levels of practice and achievement and to become leaders in the pharmacy profession.