My primary responsibilities include directing the experiential education curriculum and managing international collaborations for the College of Pharmacy. I am responsible for management of the IPPE and APPE programs, which includes development of IPPE and APPE courses and opportunities, ensuring compliance of our experiential program with ACPE requirements; recruitment, development and maintenance of preceptors and rotation sites; student scheduling; grade reporting; and oversight of program quality improvement. My primary responsibilities are to co-chair the Medication Use Evaluation Committee and to manage the CE accreditation process for resident CE programs.
Pharmacy School Attended: Wayne State University (BS 1980; PharmD 1982)
- Pharmacy Residency: Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, Michigan (1982)
- Post-Doctoral Specialty Residency in Pediatric Pharmacy Practice, University of Tennessee and LeBonheur Children's Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee (1983)
Areas of Interest
Pediatrics, Pharmacy management/administration, Scholarship of teaching/learning, Pharmacy education
Honors & Awards
- 2018-2021: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Board of Directors
- 2017: Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacists Joseph A. Oddis Leadership Award
- 2017-2018: University of Michigan Interprofessional Leadership Fellow
- 2010: Michigan Society of Health System Pharmacists “Pharmacist of the Year” Award
- 2009: Fellow, American Society of Health System Pharmacists
- 2009: Fellow, Michigan Pharmacist Association
- Stranges PM, Marshall VD, Walker PC, Hall KE, Griffith DK, Remington T. A multidisciplinary intervention for reducing readmissions among older adults in a patient-centered medical home. American Journal of Managed Care. 2015; 21:106-113.
- Kelling SE, Walker PC, Mason JG, Zara N, Bleske BE. Incorporation of a community pharmacy-based heart failure assessment tool by advanced pharmacy practice experience students. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. Published online, March 9, 2017. www.japha.org/article/S1544-3191(17)30008-0/pdf.
- Tofade T, Shepler B, Kieser M, Jolowsky C, Miller M, Sullivan D, Vos S, Brueckl M, Feudo D, Walker PC. Grading Trends and Evaluation of Student Performance across Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE) in the Big Ten Academic Alliance. (The GRAPPEs Study). 2018; 10:1466-1473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cptl.2018.08.004.
- Walker PC. Diarrhea. In Krinsky DL (ed) Handbook of Non-Prescription Drugs. 19th Edition. American Pharmacists Association, Washington, D.C. 2018.
- Vos S, Kooyman C, Feudo D, Goliak K, Kieser M, Legg J, Parent-Stevens L, Walker PC, RodriguezR. When Experiential Education Intersects with Learning Disabilities. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2019; 83 (8) Article 7468. https://www.ajpe.org/doi/pdf/10.5688/ajpe7468.
- Tai M, Rida N, Klein KC, Diez H, Wells T, Kippes, K, Walker PC, Vordenberg SE. Impact of virtual simulation in self-care course on community pharmacy introductory pharmacy practice experience self-care encounters. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2019; 12:74-83.
- Walker PC, Dang R. Diarrhea. In Krinsky DL (ed) Handbook of Non-Prescription Drugs. 20th Edition. American Pharmacists Association, Washington, D.C. In press. 2020.
- Walker PC, Parker KS, Thames-Davis L, Sweet B, Ramaswamy V.4-week versus 5-week Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. Presented at the AACP Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX, July, 2014
- Walker PC.Leadership: Transforming One Million Realities. Invited Keynote Address. Phi Lambda Sigma Annual Initiation Ceremony. Presented at Wayne State University College of Pharmacy, Detroit, MI. April, 2015.
- Walker PC.Tools for effective precepting: Assessing student performance during experiential rotations. Presented at the University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy, Albuquerque, NM, October, 2015.
- Kraft MD, Walker PC, Paterini M, Kirkpatrick N. Impact of Required Inpatient Generalist Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) Students on Patient Care Interventions at an Academic Medical Center. Presented at Research Forum , The University of Michigan College of Pharmacy. Ann Arbor, MI. March 18, 2016.
- Mason J, Zara N, Walker PC, Kelling S, Bleske B. The One Minute Clinic for Heart Failure (TOM-C HF) -Intervention by Student Pharmacists in the Community Pharmacy Setting. Presented at Research Forum , The University of Michigan College of Pharmacy. Ann Arbor, MI. March 18, 2016.
- DeWald C, Kelling SE, Sweet B, Walker PC. Longitudinal Measurement of Empathy in Pharmacy Students. Presented at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Las Vegas, NE. December, 2016.
- DeWald C, Kelling SE, Sweet B, Walker PC. Longitudinal Measurement of Empathy in Pharmacy Students. Presented at the Research Forum, The University of Michigan College of Pharmacy. Ann Arbor, MI. March, 2017.
- Shereda G, Dallwig A, Munz S, Walker PC. Interprofessional Leadership Scholars Discussion Panel. The University of Michigan Health Professions Education Day. Ann Arbor, MI. April, 2017.
- Khodor Z, Walker PC, Kelling SE, Sweet B.Longitudinal Changes in Empathy among Second Year Pharmacy Students. Presented at the Research Forum, The University of Michigan College of Pharmacy. Ann Arbor, MI. March, 2018.
- Yorke A, Dotson E, Walker PC, Clay M, Khang E. Population health simulation interprofessional education pilot project: Chronic disease management for diabetes mellitus.The University of Michigan Health Professions Education Day. Ann Arbor, MI. April, 2018.
- Yorke A, Dotson E, Walker PC, Clay M, Khang E. Population health simulation interprofessional education pilot project: Chronic disease management for diabetes mellitus. The Midwest Interprofessional Practice, Education, and Research Conference. Grand Rapids, MI. September, 2018.
- Walker PC. Achieving a Resilient and Thriving Pharmacy Workforce. The Virginia Society of Health System Pharmacists, Williamsburg, VA. November, 2018.
- George M, Walker PC. Longitudinal Assessment of Empathy in Student Pharmacists. Presented at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. Anaheim, CA. December, 2019.
- George M, Walker PC. Longitudinal Assessment of Empathy in Student Pharmacists. Presented at the Research Forum, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. March, 2019.
- El-Ghoroury H, Walker PC. Does Patient Feedback Enhance Student Pharmacists’ Empathy Skills? Presented at the Research Forum, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. March, 2019.
- Fitzgerald M, Munz S, Chang D, Walker PC. Preparing Professionals for IPC: Interprofessional CollaboraTIVE Care between Dental and Pharmacy students in a hospital setting. Presented at the Midwest Interprofessional Practice, Education, and Research Center Conference, Grand Rapids, MI. September 2019.
- Mark Fitzgerald M, Munz S, Chang D, Walker PC. Preparing Professionals for IPC: Interprofessional Collaborative Care Between Dental and Pharmacy Learners in a Hospital Setting. Accepted for presentation at Health Professions Education Day 2020, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. April 2020.
- Tschannen D, Fischer D, Walker PC, Khang E. Improving Safety through Team Training on Effective Leadership and Followership within the Interprofessional Team. Accepted for poster presentation at Health Professions Education Day. The University of Michigan, April 2020.
- Walker PC.ASHP Practice Advancement Initiative 2030. Presented virtually at the Annual Meeting of the Kansas and Missouri Societies of Health System Pharmacists, April 2020.
- Gilchrist G, Walker PC. Health Disparities and COVID-19 in Michigan. Invited Presentation. Virtual Town Hall Meeting. Michigan Pharmacists Association. June, 2020.
- Tran T (Co-PI), Skrabal M (Co-PI), Palombi L, Devine T, Koh-Knox Sharp Cynthia, Coover K, Tiemeier A, Spencer S, Walker PC. How Should Schools Better Prepare Students to Combat Opioid Crisis?Results from Student Focus Groups. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, July 2020.
- Ashjian EJ, Sweet BV, Erickson SR, Wells T, Diez HL, Thompson AN, Walker PC. Characteristics and impact of an early clinical experience on student learning about ambulatory care practice. Submitted as School Poster for presentation at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Long Beach, California, July 2020.