My practice is focused on adult inpatient psychiatry and neurology. I routinely round with and cover these two services. On a case by case basis, I serve as a consultant for other inpatient services (consult liaison psychiatry, psychiatry emergency services, child/adolescent psychiatry, addiction consult team). Additionally I work with our adult psychiatry partial hospitalization program to provide group medication education and individual comprehensive medication reviews. Outside of practice, I serve as Senior Editor for Mental Health Clinician and Assistant Editor for the DiPiro Pharmacotherapy book.
Pharmacy School Attended: University of Michigan (1999)
- PGY1 Pharmacy: Medical University of South Carolina (2000)
- PGY2 Psychiatry: Medical University of South Carolina (2001)
- BCPP 2002 to present
Fun Fact: One of my eyebrows is half-blonde
Areas of Interest
Within psychiatry my interests are in all areas of psychopharmacology with a focus on mechanism of action and pharmacokinetics. My disease state foci are schizophrenia, mood disorders, addiction, and anxiety disorders. Within neurology my interests are in disorders with complex pharmacologic treatment including epilepsy, movement disorders, headache, and neuropathic pain. Additionally I enjoy working on projects related to systems of care, Epic/EMR optimization, transitions of care in psychiatry, and discrepancies in care for those with psychiatric diagnoses.
- Chow CL, Nour KK, Bostwick JR, VandenBerg A. Akathisia and newer second-generation antipsychotic drugs: a review of current evidence. Pharmacotherapy.40(6):565-74. 2020
- Cusimano J, VandenBerg A. Long-acting injectable antipsychotics and their use in court-ordered treatment: A cross-sectional survey of psychiatric pharmacists’ perceptions. Mental Health Clinician.10(1): 18-24, 2020.
- Leader LD, O’Connell M, VandenBerg A. Brexanolone for postpartum depression: clinical evidence and practical considerations. Pharmacotherapy. 39(11):1105-12, 2019.
- Bixby AL, Goldsborough S, Iuppa A, LeBlanc A, Schultz HE, VandenBerg A. Successful use of carbamazepine in a patient with drug rash with eosinophilia andsystemic symptoms. Mental Health Clinician.9(5): 331-5, 2019.
- Bixby AL, VandenBerg A, Bostwick, J. Clinical Management of Bleeding Risk with Antidepressants. Ann Pharmacother.53(2):186-94, 2019.
- McGrane I, VandenBerg A, Munjal R. Treatment of pseudobulbar affect with fluoxetine and dextromethorphan in a woman with multiple sclerosis. Ann Pharmacother. 51(11): 1035-6, 2017.
- Bacon O, VandenBerg A, May M Provider and patient perception of psychiatry patient health literacy. Pharm Pract. 15(2):908-12, 2017.
- VandenBerg A, Broadway J. Protein supplement and valproate: a potential pharmacokinetic interaction. Mental Health Clinician. 7(1):10-12, 2017.
- VandenBerg A, Broadway J, Lalich C, Kennedy R, Williams K. Valproate serum concentrations in patients with hypoalbuminemia and medical complications. Mental Health Clinician. 7(1):13-15, 2017.
- May M, VandenBerg A. The role of methylphenidate in depression. Mental Health Clinician. 5(6): 271-6, 2015.
- Sigler M, VandenBerg A, Thompson A. Evidence and clinical considerations for the use of serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors in the treatment of painful neuropathy. Mental Health Clinician. 5(6): 289-95, 2015.
- Gwynette MF, Beck B, VandenBerg A, Stocking N. Under arrest: the use of amantadine for treatment-refractory mood lability and aggression in a patient with traumatic brain injury. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 35(1):102-4, 2015.