Our DEI team has five subcommittees to carry out this mission.
- Underserved Medical Care: This subcommittee aims at reducing barriers to Neurological care within our communities. Led by Dr. Galit Levi Dunietz, PhD, MPH, a public Health professional, and enthusiastic clinical faculty members, this sub-committee provides neurological care to Michiganders with limited access to health services.
- Recruitment and Retention: This subcommittee aims to ensure best practices in recruitment and retention of faculty, trainees, and staff, track these efforts, and ensure that DEI work is appropriately valued in promotions. Led by Dr. Lesli Skolarus.
- Training and Department Engagement: This subcommittee aims to coordinate departmental training activities, town hall discussions, and meeting topics that regularly engage faculty, staff, and trainees in the topic. Led by Dr. Darin Zahuranec and Sennettra Gilliam.
- Communication/Website: This subcommittee aims to communicate departmental events, keep an up-to-date list of ongoing activities for the website, track health disparities and DEI-related research, organize multiple sources of outside information on events and develop a plan for regular communication to the department. Led by Erin Fox.
- Community outreach: This subcommittee aims to organize general (e.g. non-medical) volunteer work in local underserved communities coordinate outreach efforts for education to local school systems, and outreach to Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Led by Dr. Praveen Dayalu.
The Department of Neurology DEI Committee is led by Dr. Darin Zahuranec, Dr. Larry Charleston, and Sennettra Gilliam.