Our DEI team has five subcommittees to carry out this mission. The Neurology DEI Committee is led by Dr. Darin Zahuranec.
- Community Outreach: This subcommittee aims to organize general (e.g. non-medical) volunteer work in local underserved communities coordinate outreach efforts for education to local school systems, and outreach to Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Led by Dr. Praveen Dayalu.
- Underserved Medical Care: This subcommittee aims at reducing barriers to Neurological care within our communities. Led by Dr. Galit Levi Dunietz, PhD, MPH, a public Health professional, and enthusiastic clinical faculty members, this sub-committee provides neurological care to Michiganders with limited access to health services.
- Training and Department Engagement: This subcommittee aims to coordinate departmental training activities, town hall discussions, and meeting topics that regularly engage faculty, staff, and trainees in the topic. Led by Dr. Darin Zahuranec.
- Recruitment and Retention: This subcommittee aims to ensure best practices in recruitment and retention of faculty, trainees, and staff, track these efforts, and ensure that DEI work is appropriately valued in promotions.
- Communications: This subcommittee aims to communicate departmental events, keep an up-to-date list of ongoing activities for the website, track health disparities and DEI-related research, organize multiple sources of outside information on events and develop a plan for regular communication to the department.
- Project Management: This subcommittee supports the work of the other subcommittees, and also maintains our DEI records. Led by Amanda Rasnake.