Dr. Firn has a BS from Michigan State University, MSW from the University of Michigan, and PhD from Lancaster University (UK). Janice is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Learning Health Sciences (DLHS). Before DLHS, Janice worked in oncology and palliative care at Michigan Medicine. She is also part of the Center for Bioethics and Social Sciences in Medicine (CBSSM), and serves as a Clinical Ethicist for the Clinical Ethics Service. Janice responds to ethics consultation requests, facilitates preventive ethics rounds, participates in interprofessional ethics education at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional level across the medical and academic campuses, and is involved in a number of related research and quality improvement/quality assurance initiatives.
Research and scholarly interests:
Bioethics; Clinician Self-Care, Burnout, and Resilience; Palliative and End of Life Care; Interprofessional Education, Training, and Collaboration; Methods of Qualitative Research.
Subject matter expertise:
Methods of Qualitative Research; Death, Loss, and Grief; Clinical and Preventive Ethics; Interprofessional Collaboration
Other professional highlights:
- Faculty, Pre-Doctoral Ethics Fellowship University of Michigan Medical School
- Faculty, Path of Excellence in Ethics University of Michigan Medical Schoool
- Adjunct Lecturer, University of Michigan School of Social Work
- 2017 Division of Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program Faculty Service Award recipient
- 2014 Beverly Jean Howard Excellence in Social Work, Michigan Medicine Social Worker of the Year Award recipient
- Featured in ASCO Connection article "Resilience While Caring for Seriously Ill Patients: Skills and Strategies to Prevent Burnout" https://connection.asco.org/tec/career/resilience-while-caring-for-seriously-ill-patients
- Co-developer of the Michigan Medicine Psychosocial Acuity Tool
Published Articles or Reviews
- Ferrell BR, Temel JS, Temin S, Alesi ER, Balboni TA, Basch EM, Firn JI, Paice JA, Peppercorn JM, Phillips T, Stovall EL, Zimmermann C, Smith TJ: Integration of palliative care into standard oncology care: American society of clinical oncology clinical practice guideline update. Journal of Clinical Oncology.35(1): 96-112, 01/2017. PM28034065. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28034065/
- Kana LA, Feder KJ, Matusko N, Firn JI: Pediatric Interprofessional ICU Ethics Rounds: A Single-Center Study. Hosp Pediatr.11(4): 411-416, 04/2021. PM33722824. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33722824/
- Min L, Saul D, Firn J, Chang R, Wiggins J, Khateeb R: Interprofessional geriatric and palliative care intervention associated with fewer hospital days. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.70(2): 398-407, 02/2022. PM34752635. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34752635/
- Kana L, Shuman A, De Vries R, Firn J: Taking the burden off: a study of the quality of ethics consultation in the time of COVID-19. Journal of Medical Ethics.48(4): 244-249, 04/2022. PM33811113. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33811113/
A list of all publications can be found here.