In the fall of 2015, the University of Michigan embarked upon a renewed commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
“Our mission at Michigan Medicine is to foster an environment of respect that honors the uniqueness of all who work, learn and heal here.” – David Brown, MD, Associate Vice President and Associate Dean for Health Equity and Inclusion
We commit to increasing diversity, which is expressed in myriad forms, including race and ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, language, culture, national origin, religious commitments, age, (dis)ability status and political perspective.
We commit to working actively to challenge and respond to bias, harassment, and discrimination. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
We commit to pursuing deliberate efforts to ensure that our campus is a place where differences are welcomed, different perspectives are respectfully heard and where every individual feels a sense of belonging and inclusion. We know that by building a critical mass of diverse groups on campus and creating a vibrant climate of inclusiveness, we can more effectively leverage the resources of diversity to advance our collective capabilities.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
- Equal Medicine Group
- Bystander training, negotiation workshop, Perfecting Your Pitch Workshop, faculty mentorship, book club, film screening nights, resident-faculty social mixers
- Residents and Fellows for Global Health Equity
- Lecture series (Global Health Equity Rounds)
- Implicit and Structural Bias curriculum
- Training on bias in medical student evaluations
- PSQI bias curriculum during ambulatory block
- Anti-racist book club
- Residents as Mentors Program
- Holistic recruitment practices
- Clinical opportunities
- Underserved elective; sites include:
- Away rotations/individualized electives (example: Indian Health Service)
- Delonis Center Clinic, Ann Arbor, MI
- University of Michigan Student Run Free Clinic, Pinckney, MI
- Wolverine Street Medicine, Detroit, MI
- Migrant Farm Clinic, Adrian, MI
- Food Gatherers, Ann Arbor, MI
- Progressive maternity and paternity paid leave
- Progressive lactation policies that guarantee time, space and support for breastfeeding residents
Department of Internal Medicine and U-M Initiatives
Department of Internal Medicine
The Department of Internal Medicine's Office for Equity, Inclusion, and Well-Being works to continually monitor, evaluate, and refine DEI and well-being initiatives. An IMPOWER Council was created (IMPOWER - Inspiring Medicine to Promote Opportunities for Well-Being, Equity, and Diversity) to facilitate multidirectional communication and support initiatives to drive culture change around IMPOWER’s four strategic priorities: develop people, improve environment, build partnerships, and communicate results.
- Grand Rounds Series - This series works to continually monitor, evaluate, and refine DEI and well-being initiatives.
- Peer Mentorship
- Michigan Medicine COMPASS, Compassionate Peers and Stress Support Network - The peer support interaction provides a safe and confidential space to express reactions to a stressful event or time by speaking to someone who can relate directly to the circumstances involved.
- COVID-19 virtual group support sessions
- Cultural complications curriculum
- External faculty recruitment
- Office of Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI)
- White Coats for Black Lives
- House Officer Association (HOA)
- Medicine and Pediatrics DEI Committee
- Michigan Medicine Center for Disability Health and Wellness
- University of Michigan Medical School
- Health Equity Scholars Program
- House Officer Diversity Network
- Doctors of Tomorrow
- Student Diversity Council
- First in Family
- White Coats for Political Action
- American Medical Women's Association (AMWA)
- Black Medical Association (BMA)
- Latin American and Native American Medical Association (LANAMA)
- United Asian American Medical Student Association (UAAMSA)
- Jewish Medical Student Association (JeMSA)
- Students of Middle-Eastern Descent (MSMD)
- South Asian Medical Student Association (SAMoSA)
- Muslin Medical Student Association (MMSA)