The Resident PS/QI Project Challenge was created to recognize outstanding resident teams during their Patient Safety and Quality Improvement project rotation.
- Participants in the PS/QI project groups during the current academic year (July – June) will be considered for the October presentation.
- All groups who completed their monthly QI/PS project roration are automatically considered for selection.
- All groups will be scored in August after the end of the previous academic year based on relevance of project topic, quality of project A3 summary, and potential impact on improving patient safety and quality of care.
- The selection committee is chaired by Nathan Houchens, MD, Director of the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Program and Assistant Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program. The committee also includes faculty project facilitators, faculty representatives from the Department of Internal Medicine Quality Council, and staff from the Department’s Clinical Experience and Quality team.
The two groups with the highest scores will be chosen to present at Medicine Grand Rounds in October.
These teams were selected to present at Medicine Grand Rounds on October 22, 2021:
- "Know Your Status: Universal HIV Testing in Michigan Medicine Internal Medicine" - Mehwish Ahmed, Genevieve Allen, John Coda, Michael McLane, Louis Saravolatz
- "No Tolerance for Food Intolerance" - Rayan Kaakati, Devvrat Malhotra, Eric Waselewski, Kassie Weber
These teams were selected to present at Medicine Grand Rounds on October 23, 2020:
- “The Sprint Within the Marathon: Examining Time to Antibiotic Therapy When Treating Neutropenic Fever” - Katie Epler, Abby Erinc, Jeff Gibbs, Cam McDonald-Hyman
- “GoLytely or Go Home: Improving the Quality of Inpatient Bowel Preps” - Noah Boton, Lars Johnson, Kunal Mathur, Stephanie Owyang, Nadia Sebastian-Kettinger
These teams were selected to present at Medicine Grand Rounds on October 11, 2019:
- "Reducing Readmissions for Hepatic Encephalopathy” - James Brehany, MD; Paul Christine, MD, PhD; Elizabeth Lin, MD; Blake Haller, MD, MPH; Ting Zheng, MD
- “PCP Prophylaxis in Patients on Steroid Therapy” - Taylor Broome, MD; Christopher Hoeger, MD; Jay Krishnan, MD; Amy Wang, MD