Dr. Toma earned his medical degree from Baghdad University (2001) and completed a Master’s of Public Health from the University of Albany (2007). He completed his residency training in Family Medicine at Beaumont Hospital (2011) and also a fellowship training in Geriatric Medicine at the University of Michigan (2012). He is passionate about chronic diseases management, preventive medicine and complex care.
Dr. Toma is fluent in Arabic and has an understanding of Chaldean.
Areas of Interest
- Family medicine
- Geriatric medicine
- University of Baghdad College of Medicine, Baghdad, Iraq, 2001
- Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine Family Medicine Residency Program, Troy, Mich., 2011
- Geriatric Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Mich., 2012
- Family Medicine
- Toma G, Essuman A, Fetters MD. Family medicine residency training in Ghana after 20 years: resident attitudes about their education. Fam Med Community Health. 2020 Oct;8(4):e000394. doi: 10.1136/fmch-2020-000394. PMID: 33093166; PMCID: PMC7583799.
- Essuman A, Gold KJ, Vitale C, Toma G, Cigolle C, Gyakobo M, Spangenberg K, Odoi-Agyarko K, Skye E, Zazove P; A Collaboration Between the University of Michigan and the Ghana College of Physicians and Surgeons. Establishing the First Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program in Ghana. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019 Aug;67(8):1718-1723. doi: 10.1111/jgs.16014. Epub 2019 Jun 25. PMID: 31237345.
- Toma G, Triner W, McNutt LA. Patient satisfaction as a function of emergency department previsit expectations. Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Sep;54(3):360-367.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2009.01.024. Epub 2009 Mar 12. PMID: 19282060.
- Gould W, Peterson EL, Karungi G, Zoratti A, Gaggin J, Toma G, Yan S, Levin AM, Yang JJ, Wells K, Wang M, Burke RR, Beckman K, Popadic D, Land SJ, Kumar R, Seibold MA, Lanfear DE, Burchard EG, Williams LK. Factors predicting inhaled corticosteroid responsiveness in African American patients with asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010 Dec;126(6):1131-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2010.08.002. PMID: 20864153; PMCID: PMC2998569.